Place:


Stourton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stourton like this:

STOURTON, a parish in Mere district, and in Wilts and Somerset; 2½ miles WNW of Mere, and 5 SE of Witham r. station. Its Somerset portion is Brook hamlet. It has a post-office under Bath. Acres, 3,543. Rated property, £3,304. Pop., 660. Houses, 151. Stourhead, separately noticed, is the chief feature. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £520.* Patron, Sir H. A. Hoare, Bart. The church is ancient, and contains monuments of the Stourtons. The churchyard is ornate; and contains a lofty stone cross, the mansoleum of the Hoare family, and a monumental tower over the remains of Sir R.Hoare, the author of "Ancient Wiltshire." Charities, £68.

Stourton through time

Stourton is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stourton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stourton, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12110

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stourton ".