Place:


Stockton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stockton like this:

STOCKTON, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; 1¾ mile WNW of Wiley r. station. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 2,000. Real property, £2,267. Pop., 288. Houses, 64. The manor, with S. House, belongs to H. Biggs, Esq. The Ridgeway traverses the S.; and at Stockton Wood there are vestiges of a Roman station, on the site of an ancient British town. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £436.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is good; and there are alms houses with £159 a year.

Stockton through time

Stockton is now part of West Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stockton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stockton in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12109

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stockton ".