Place:


Shrewton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shrewton like this:

SHREWTON, a parish, with a village, in Amesbury district, Wilts; 6 miles WNW of Amesbury, and 6 N of Wishford r. station. It has a post-office under Devizes. Acres, 2,178. Rated property, £2,074. Pop., 710. Houses, 159. The property is much subdivided. There are several ancient British remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £230.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt in 1854. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £71.

Shrewton through time

Shrewton is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shrewton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shrewton, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12096

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shrewton ".