Place:


Sherston  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sherston like this:

SHERSTON-MAGNA, a village and a parish in Ma1msbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, 5½ miles WSW of Malmsbury, and 8½ E by S of Wickwar r. station; was known to the Saxons as Sceorstan; witnessed an obstinate battle, in 1 016, between Edmund Ironside and Canute; was long a place of considerable consequence; and has a post-office, of the name of Sherston, under Ma1msbury, and fairs on 12 May and 2 Oct. ...


The parish comprises 4,280 acres. Real property, with S.-Parva, £8,637. Pop. of S.-M. alone, 1,503. Houses, 325. The property is subdivided. The manors of S.-M and S.-P., with Pinkney Park, belong to W. H. Creswell, Esq. Roman coins have been found; a deep well, supposed to have been of Roman origin, is behind the village; and an entrenched camp, probably Saxon, is a little to the NE. The living is a vicarage, united with S.-Parva, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is Norman and cruciform, and has a central tower. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists, national and British schools, and charities £13.

Sherston through time

Sherston is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sherston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherston in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12094

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sherston ".