Place:


Savernake  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Savernake like this:

SAVERNAKE FOREST, a chapelry and an ancientforest in Marlborough district, Wilts. The chapelry is in Great Bedwin parish; lies 2 miles N W of Bedwin r.station, and 4½ S E by E of Marlborough; and was constituted in 1864. Post-town, Hungerford. Pop., 465. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. ...


Value, not reported. Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The ancient forest includes the chapelry; comprises adomain of 16 miles in circuit; retains much of its ancientsylvan character; displays a grandeur of forest sceneryhighly interesting to artists; formed part of the jointure of Queen Eleanor; passed to the Seymours, Dukes of Somerset; went by marriage, in 1676, to the Bruces; and belongs now to the Marquis of Ailesbury. S. F. House, formerly called Tottenham Park, is the Marquis'sseat. A column, seen through a long vista from the Nfront of the mansion, crowns a lofty height, and was erected in 1789 to commemorate events in the life of George III.

Savernake through time

Savernake is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Savernake itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Savernake, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12086

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Savernake ".