Place:


Rowde  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rowde like this:

ROWDE, a parish, with a village, in Devizes district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, 2½ miles W N W of Devizes r. station. It has a post-office under Devizes. Acres, 2, 665. Real property, £7, 139. Pop., 1, 142. Houses, 255. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to F. A. S. Locke, Esq. R. Ford and R. Ashton are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £260.* Patron, G. Goldney, Esq. The church was partly rebuilt in 1833. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £29.

Rowde through time

Rowde is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rowde itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rowde, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12081

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rowde ".