Place:


Clifford  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifford like this:

CLIFFORD-CUM-BOSTON, a township and two chapelries in Bramham parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Wharfe, near the York and Harrogate railway, 4 miles NW by W of Tadcaster; and has two post offices of the names of Clifford and Boston-Spa, under Tadcaster. A fair is held on the Wednesday before 18 Oct. ...


Acres, 1, 491. Real property, £9, 145. Pop., 2, 153. Houses, 456. Clifford moor is a resort of sportsmen. One of the chapelries is Clifford; which was constituted in 1842. Rated property, £1, 850. Pop., 1, 030. Houses, 205. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £60.* Patron, G. Lane Fox, Esq. The church is modern and Gothic; and there are charities £19. The other chapelry is Boston-Spa: which see.

Clifford through time

Clifford is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifford, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12079

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifford ".