Place:


Potterne  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Potterne like this:

POTTERNE, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Wilts. The village stands 2 miles S by W of Devizes r.station, and has a post-office under Devizes. The parishincludes the tythings of Marston and Worton, and is in Devizes district. Acres, 4, 956. Real property, £14,017. Pop., 1,826. Houses, 417. ...


The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Salisbury. Eastwell is the seat of the Grubbes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £601.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is early English, cruciform, and good; and has a pinnacled tower, and carved pulpit. The p. curacy of Worton and Marston is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed national school, and charities £44. The hundred contains also 5 other parishes, and bears the name of Potterne and Cannings. Acres, 30, 930. Pop. in 1851, 8, 284; in 1861, 8,095. Houses, 1, 721.

Potterne through time

Potterne is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Potterne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Potterne, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12063

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Potterne ".