Place:


North Newnton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Newnton like this:

NEWNTON (North), a village and a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, 4 miles S W of Pewsey r. station, and 8½ E S E of Devizes. The parish includes the tythings of Hilcote and Rainscombe; and its post town is Pewsey, under Marlborough. Acres, 1, 381. Real property, £2, 787. ...


Pop., 376. Houses, 91. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £76. Patron, the Prebendary of North Newnton. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

North Newnton through time

North Newnton is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Newnton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Newnton, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12028

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Newnton ".