Place:


Nettleton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nettleton like this:

NETTLETON, a village and a parish in Chippenham district, Wilts. The village stands ½ a mile S E of the boundary with Gloucestershire, 1¼ W N W of Akeman-street, and 7½ N W by W of Chippenham r. station. The parish comprises 1, 959 acres. Post-town, Chippenham. Real property, £3, 373. ...


Pop., 632. Houses, 126. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to T. Penrice, Esq. There is a large barrow, withthree stones of a cromlech. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £408.* Patron,Domville, Esq. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans.

Nettleton through time

Nettleton is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nettleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nettleton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12025

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nettleton ".