Place:


Netheravon  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Netheravon like this:

NETHERAVON, a village, a parish, and a sub district, in Pewsey district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, 5 miles N by W of Amesbury, and 8 S by E of Woolborough r. station; and has a post-office under Marlborough. The parish contains also the tything of Chisenbury-de-la-Fol1y. Acres, 5, 160. ...


Real property, with Figheldean, £9, 649. Rated property of N. alone, £3, 664. Pop., 546. Houses, 1 21. The property is notmuch divided. The manor, with Netheravon House, belongs to Sir M. E. H. Beach, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £348.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is ancient, was recently restored, and has a pinnacled tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, and charities £7. Sydney Smith was curate here.—The sub-district contains also twelve other parishes, and a chapelry. Acres, 36, 866. Pop., 5, 471. Houses, 1, 199.

Netheravon through time

Netheravon is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Netheravon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Netheravon, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12021

Date accessed: 10th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Netheravon ".