Place:


Monkton Farleigh  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkton Farleigh like this:

MONKTON-FARLEIGH, a parish, with a village, in Bradford-on-Avon district, Wilts; adjacent to the river Avon, the Great Western railway, and the boundary with Somerset, 3½ miles NW by N of Bradford r. station. Posttown, Bradford-on-Avon. Acres, 1,796. Real property, £2,967; of which £203 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 352. Houses, 73. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Salisbury. A Cluniac priory, a cell to Lewes abbey, was founded here, in 1125, by Humphrey de Bohun; was given, at the dissolution, to the Seymours; and has left some traces. Monkton-Farleigh House was erected out of materials of the priory; occupies part of its site; belonged, for a time, to the family of Long; and has reverted to the Bishop of Salisbury. An exquisitely worked silver seal, supposed to have been that of the last prior, was found in the vicinity. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £196.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church comprises recent nave and chancel and an old tower. There is a fuel allotment.

Monkton Farleigh through time

Monkton Farleigh is now part of West Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monkton Farleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkton Farleigh in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12017

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monkton Farleigh ".