Place:


Southwick  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Southwick like this:

SOUTHWICK, a village and a parish in Steyning district, Sussex. The village stands on the coast, adjacent to the South Coast railway, 2 miles E of Shoreham; carries on some commerce in coals and corn; and has a post-office‡ under Shoreham, a r. station, a reading room, a coastguard station, and a fair on 19 May. ...


The parish contains also Fishergate hamlet, and comprises 1,470 acres-Real property, £4,547. Pop. in 1851, 1,190; in 1861, 1,358. Houses, 246. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £207.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is tolerable; and there is a national school. Doctor Pell, the linguist, was a native.

Southwick through time

Southwick is now part of Adur district. Click here for graphs and data of how Adur has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Southwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Southwick, in Adur and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12

Date accessed: 19th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Southwick ".