Place:


Milston  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milston like this:

MILSTON, a village and a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, 3 miles N by E of Amesbury, and 6½ N by W of Porton r. station; and consists of a small group of very pretty cottages, the parish church, and a gabled old parsonage, the birth-place of Joseph Addison, and now a farm-house. ...


The parish contains also the hamlet of Brigmerston; and its Post town is Amesbury, under Salisbury. Acres, 2,2 43. Real property, with Bulford and Durrington, £7,235. Rated property of M. alone, £1,246. Pop., 130. Houses, 26. The property is all in one estate.The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Brigmerston, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £344. * Patron,Rendall, Esq. The church is ancient and tolerable. Launcelot Addison, the father of Joseph Addison, was rector.

Milston through time

Milston is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milston, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11978

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milston ".