Place:


Carleton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carleton like this:

CARLTON, a village and a parish in Skipton district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Aire, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal and the North Midland railway, 2 miles SW of Skipton; and has a post office under Skipton. The parish includes also the hamlet of Lothersdale. Acres, 5,117. ...


Real property, £5,919. Pop., 1,506. Houses, 311. The property issubdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £400.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church was rebuilt in 1859. The vicarage of Lothersdale is a separate benefice. Almshouses. founded in 1700, by Mr. Spence, have £281 a year; and a school, founded in 1709, by Elizabeth Wilkinson, has £120.

Carleton through time

Carleton is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carleton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carleton, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11940

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carleton ".