Place:


Cantley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cantley like this:

CANTLEY, a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire; near the river Idle, 3 miles N by W of Rossington r. station, and 3½ ESE of Doncaster. It includes the hamlets of Bessecar, Branton, Gatewood, and High and Low Ellers; and has a post office under Doncaster. Acres, 5,160. Real property, £5,373. Pop., 663. Houses, 127. The property is divided between two. Cantley House is the seat of J. W. Childers, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £233.* Patron, J. W. Childers, Esq. The church is good: and there is a national school.

Cantley through time

Cantley is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cantley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cantley, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11939

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cantley ".