Place:


Claypole  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Claypole like this:

CLAYPOLE, a parish and a sub-district in the district of Newark and county of Lincoln. The parish lies on the river Witham and the Great Northern railway, contiguous to Notts, 4½ miles SE of Newark; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Newark-Acres, 3, 370. Real property, £5, 823. ...


Pop., 774. Houses, 144. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £737.* Patron, J. P. Plumptre, Esq. The church is a fine structure, of various character, with tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The Newark workhouse is here. -The sub-district contains eleven parishes and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 25, 586. Pop., 4, 487. Houses, 935.

Claypole through time

Claypole is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Claypole itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Claypole, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11933

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Claypole ".