Place:


Maddington  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maddington like this:

MADDINGTON, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; in Salisbury plain, 5½ miles N of Stapleford r. station, and 6 W by N of Amesbury. Post town, Shrewton, under Devizes. Acres, 3,973. Real property, with Shrewton and Rollstone, £7,295. Rated property of M. alone, £3,456. Pop., 396. ...


Houses, 93. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to Sir Stephen-Fox, ancestor of the Earls of Ilchester and Lords Holland; and belongs now to L. P. Maton, Esq. Traces exist of ancient buildings. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Valne, £64.* Patron, L. P. Maton, Esq. The church is ancient but good. Charities, £8.

Maddington through time

Maddington is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maddington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maddington, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11925

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maddington ".