Place:


West Lavington  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Lavington like this:

LAVINGTON (WEST), a village and a parish in Devizes district, Wilts. The village stands under the Ridge way, 1 mile SW of Market-Lavington, and 6¼ S by W of Devizes r. station; suffered much from a fire in 1689; is still a considerable place; and has a post office under Devizes. The parish contains also the tything of Littleton-Pannell; and is sometimes called Bishops-Lavington. ...


Acres, 6, 283. Real property, £10, 461. Pop. in 1851, 1, 739; in 1861, 1, 589. Houses, 363. The decrease of pop. was caused by the removal of pauper lunatics from an asylum here to the county asylum. The manor belongs to the Bishop of Salisbury, and is held by Lord Churchill. A seat of the Danvers family was here; passed to the Dauntseys and the Montagues; and was sold to the late Duke of Marlborough. A considerable area is disposed in market gardens, for sending produce to Salisbury and Bath. Limestone is quarried and calcined. Tumuli and traces of ancient camps are on the downs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £350. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is good; has an embattled tower; and contains monuments of the Danverses, and a brass of 1550. There are an endowed school, alms houses for ten persons, and other charities £8.

West Lavington through time

West Lavington is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Lavington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Lavington, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11887

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Lavington ".