Place:


West Kington  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Kington like this:

KINGTON (WEST), a parish, with a village, in Chippenham district, Wilts; near Akeman street and the boundary with Gloucester, 8 miles NW by W of Chippenham r. station. Post town, Marshfield, under Chippenham. Acres, 2, 444. Real property, £4, 115. Pop., 405. Houses, 79. The manor belongs to W. ...


Codrington, Esq. Building stone is quarried. Vestiges exist of a Roman camp. The parish is a meet for the Beaufort hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £417.* Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is ancient, and has a tower. Bishop Latimer was rector.

West Kington through time

West Kington is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Kington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Kington in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11853

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Kington ".