Place:


Burton upon Stather  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burton upon Stather like this:

BURTON-UPON-STATHER, a village and a parish in Glanford-Brigg district, Lincoln. The village stands on a "staith" or creek of the river Trent, near that river's mouth, 3 miles NNE of Keadby r. station, and 11½ NW of Glanford-Brigg. It has a post office, of the name of Burton, under Brigg; it figured formerly as a considerable market town; it serves now as a depôt station for the Hull and Gainsborough steam-vessels; and it carries on a considerable trade in meal. ...


The parish includes also the hamlets of Normandy, Thealby, and part of Coleby. Acres, 3,860. Real property, £6,038. Pop., 983. Houses, 222. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Flixborough, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is of the 13th century, and in good condition. There are two Methodist chapels and a national school.

Burton upon Stather through time

Burton upon Stather is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton upon Stather itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton upon Stather in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11817

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton upon Stather ".