Place:


Levenshulme  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Levenshulme like this:

LEVENSHULME, a village, a township, and a parochial chapelry, in Manchester parish, Lancaster. The village stands near the Manchester and Stockport railway, 3 miles SE by S of Manchester; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Manchester. The township comprises 605 acres. Real property, £8,267. ...


Pop. in 1851,1,902; in 1861,2,095. Houses, 421. There are many modern residences of Manchester families, two small cotton mills, and bleaching works.—The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1861. Pop., 2,538. Houses, 515. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. There are chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics. There is also a convent. The Free Methodist chapel was built in 1864; and a school, in connexion with it, to accommodate 250 children, was built in 1866. National schools were erected in 1855.

Levenshulme through time

Levenshulme is now part of Manchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Manchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Levenshulme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Levenshulme, in Manchester and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1181

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Levenshulme ".