Place:


Hankerton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hankerton like this:

HANKERTON, a village and a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts. The village stands 3½ miles NE of Malmsbury, and 4 W by S of Minety r. station; and has a post office under Chippenham. The parish includes also the tything of Cloatly. Acres, 2, 150. Rated property, £2, 611. Pop., 393. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Suffolk. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £269. * Patron, the Rector of Crudwell. The church is ancient and good, with a tower; and there is a national school.

Hankerton through time

Hankerton is now part of North Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hankerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hankerton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11780

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hankerton ".