Place:


West Grimstead  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Grimstead like this:

GRIMSTEAD (WEST), a parish in Alderbury district, Wilts; on the Bishopstoke and Salisbury railway, near Dean r. station, and 4½ miles SE by E of Salisbury. Post town, Alderbury, under Salisbury. Acres, 1, 483. Real property, with Alderbury and Whaddon, £4, 270. Rated property of W. ...


G. alone, £910. Pop., 251. house, 51. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury; and, till 1866, was united with Plaitford. Value, £284. Patron, the Earl of Ilchester. The church is old, but good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £12.

West Grimstead through time

West Grimstead is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Grimstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Grimstead, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11775

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Grimstead ".