Place:


Monkton Deverill  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkton Deverill like this:

DEVERILL-MONCKTON, a parish in Mere district, Wilts; on the Deverill rivulet, 4¼ miles NE of Mere, and 5¾ SW of Heytesbury r. station. Post town, Deverill-Kingston, under Warminster. Acres, 1, 735. Real property, with Deverill-Kingston, £3, 875. Pop., 180. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. A monastery, subordinate to Bee abbey, was founded here before 1086. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Deverill-Longbridge, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is good. White, ejected by Cromwell, and afterwards a physician, was incumbent.

Monkton Deverill through time

Monkton Deverill is now part of West Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Monkton Deverill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkton Deverill in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11717

Date accessed: 24th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Monkton Deverill ".