Place:


West Dean  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Dean like this:

DEAN (West), a parish in the districts of Stockbridge and Alderbury, and county of Wilts; on the Salisbury canal and the Salisbury railway, at Dean r. station and the boundary with Hants, 7¼ miles NW of Romsey. It includes East Grimstead chapelry; and has a post office under Romsey. Acres, 4, 382. ...


Real property, £3, 819. Pop., 446. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. West Dean House, now pulled down, was a seat of the Evelyns, and of the first Duke of Kingston. A Roman pavement was found in the parish in 1741. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of East Grimstead, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. H. Glossop. The old church had monuments of the Evelyns and the Pierreponts; and the new church was built in 1866.

West Dean through time

West Dean is now part of Salisbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Salisbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Dean itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Dean, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11711

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Dean ".