Place:


Birstwith  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birstwith like this:

BIRSTWITH, a township and a chapelry in Hampsthwaite parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Nidd, and on the Nidd Valley railway, 3 miles WSW of Ripley. It includes the hamlets of Wreakes, Brigg, and Swarcliffe, and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ripley. ...


Acres, 1,670. Real property, £2,401. Pop., 655. Houses, 164.—The chapelry is not quite so extensive as the township; and was constituted in 1857. Pop., 640. Houses, 142. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £200. Patron, F. Greenwood, Esq. The church was built in 1857. There are two Methodist chapels.

Birstwith through time

Birstwith is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birstwith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birstwith, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11601

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birstwith ".