Place:


West Ashton  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Ashton like this:

ASHTON (West), a tything and a chapelry in Steeple Ashton parish, Wilts. The tything lies near the Great Western railway, 2½ miles SE of Trowbridge. Post town, Trowbridge. Acres, 2,040. Pop., 314. Houses, 67. The chapelry is conterminate with the tything; and is a p. curacy in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £200.* Patron, W. Long, Esq., of Rood-Ashton. The church is a neat modern edifice; and has a stone pulpit and a good organ.

West Ashton through time

West Ashton is now part of West Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Ashton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Ashton in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11495

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Ashton ".