Place:


Ancaster  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ancaster like this:

ANCASTER a village and a parish in Grantham district, Lincoln The village adjoins the Grantham and Boston railway, on the line of Ermine-street, 8 miles NE of Grantham. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Grantham. It gave the title of Duke, now extant, to the Berties of Uffington. ...


A Roman station either Cansennæ or Crocolana, occupied its site; and many Roman coins, bricks, and other relics have been found. A spot in the neighbourhood was the scene of a victory, in 1643, over the Parliamentarians. The parish contains also the hamlets of Sudbrooke and West Willoughby. Acres, 2,800. Real property, £4,241. Pop., 682. Houses, 139. The property is much subdivided. The chief residences are Ancaster Hall, Sudbrooke Hall, and West Willoughby Hall. A tract which formerly was a common, wild and barren, is now enclosed and fertile. A fine oolitic building-stone is extensively quarried; has been used for Belvoir Castle, Wollaton Hall, and other great edifices; and is well exemplified in the parsonage, which was built in 1842. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £160.* Patron, the Rev. Z. S. Warren. The church is a mixture of Norman and early English. There are two Methodist chapels, and charities £7.

Ancaster through time

Ancaster is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ancaster itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ancaster, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11401

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ancaster ".