Place:


Alvingham  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alvingham like this:

ALVINGHAM, a parish in Louth district, Lincoln; on the Louth canal, 3¼ miles NE of Louth r. station. Post Town, Louth. Acres, 1,940. Real property, £2,802. Pop., 350. Houses, 74. The property is much subdivided. A Gilbertine priory stood here, dedicated to the Virgin and St. Adelwold; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Clintons.; The living is a vicarage, united with Cockerington, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £170.* Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is ancient. There are three Methodist chapels.

Alvingham through time

Alvingham is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alvingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alvingham, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11398

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alvingham ".