Place:


Waltham on the Wolds  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Waltham on the Wolds like this:

WALTHAM-ON-THE-WOLDS, a village and a parish in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester. The village stands 3¾ miles N by W of Saxby r. station, and 5 NE of Melton-Mowbray; was once a market-town; and has a post-office‡ under Melton-Mowbray, and a cattle and horse fair on 18 and 19 Sept. ...


The parish comprises 2,870 acres. Real property, £3,943. Pop, 672. Houses, 136. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. Lime is calcined. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £520.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is cruciform, with central tower and spire; is chiefly decorated English; and has been restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £30.

Waltham on the Wolds through time

Waltham on the Wolds is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Waltham on the Wolds itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Waltham on the Wolds, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11357

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Waltham on the Wolds ".