Place:


Sutton Cheney  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton Cheney like this:

SUTTON-CHENEY, a chapelry in Market-Bosworth parish, Leicester; 5 miles N by W of Hinckley r. station. It has a postal pillar-box under Hinckley. Acres, 1,520. Real property, £2,558. Pop., 352. Houses, 78. The manor belongs to W. Stewart, Esq. Lime is calcined, and bricks are made. The living is annexed to Market-Bosworth. The church is good. There are a free school and alms houses, the latter with £24 a year.

Sutton Cheney through time

Sutton Cheney is now part of Hinckley and Bosworth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hinckley and Bosworth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton Cheney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton Cheney, in Hinckley and Bosworth and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11309

Date accessed: 19th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton Cheney ".