Place:


Sproxton  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sproxton like this:

SPROXTON, a parish, with a village, in Melton-Mowbray district, Leicester; 4½ miles NE of Saxby r. station, and 8 NE by E of Melton-Mowbray. Post town, Melton-Mowbray. Acres, 2,360. Real property, £3,362. Pop., 455. Houses, 85. The manor belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The living is a vicarage, united with Saltby, in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £282.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is old. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Sproxton through time

Sproxton is now part of Melton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Melton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sproxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sproxton, in Melton and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11291

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sproxton ".