Place:


Skeffington  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skeffington like this:

SKEFFINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Billesdon district, Leicester; 7¼ miles NNE of Kibworth r. station, and 10 E by S of Leicester. It has a post-office under Leicester. Acres, 2,132. Real property, £4,236. Pop., 244. Houses, 42. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to W. W. Tailby, Esq. ...


S. Hall was the seat of the baronet family of Skeffington, extinct in 1850; was the birthplace of Bishop S. and Lord Deputy S., of the early part of the 16th century; and is a large mansion, with castellated E and S front. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £670.* Patron, Rev. J.Davenport. The church is old.

Skeffington through time

Skeffington is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skeffington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skeffington, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11282

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skeffington ".