Place:


Sapcote  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sapcote like this:

SAPCOTE, a parish, with a village, in Hinckley district, Leicester; adjacent to the river Soar, the Fosseway, and the Hinckley and Leicester railway, 2 miles W N W of Broughton-Astley r. station, and 4 E by S of Hinckley. Post-town, Hinckley. Acres, 1, 380. Real property, £4, 158. Pop., 668. ...


Houses, 159. The property is subdivided. Frame-work knitting is carried on; stone is quarried; and there is a mineral spring, with a bath-house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £625.* Patron, T. Frewen, Esq. The church is old, was recently repaired, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school, and five alms-houses.

Sapcote through time

Sapcote is now part of Blaby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sapcote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sapcote, in Blaby and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11250

Date accessed: 17th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sapcote ".