Place:


Askrigg  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Askrigg like this:

ASKRIGG, a small town, a township, a chapelry, a subdistrict, and a district, N. R. Yorkshire. The town stands on the left side of the river Ure, 6 miles E of Hawes, and 10½ W of Leyburn r. station; and has a post office under Bedale. It is a very ancient place; and was once much more prosperous than now. ...


It resembles a mere village; but has a weekly market on Thursday, and fairs on 11 May, the first Thursday of June, 11 July, and 28 Oct. A moorish, upland country lies around it, and embosoms some striking scenery, with the fine waterfalls of Millgill, Whitfieldgill, and Hardraw forces.-The township includes also the hamlets of Newbigging, Nappa, and Wraxhall. Acres, 4,741. Real property, £4,357. Pop., 668. Houses, 157. The property is much subdivided. Lead ore occurs, and has been worked, but not very productively. Roman remains exist at Newbigging, Nappa, and Woodhall.—The chapelry includes the township, but is more extensive. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Aysgarth. The church is an ancient and interesting edifice, in good condition. There are Independent, Wesleyan, and Quaker chapels, an endowed school with £65 a year, and six alms-houses for widows with £60.-The subdistrict comprises nine townships. Acres, 44,206. Pop., 3,207. Houses, 704.—The district is conterminate with Aysgarth parish, is not under the poor law amendment act, and is divided into the subdistricts of Askrigg and Hawes,-the former containing the townships of Askrigg, Aysgarth, Bainbridge, Carperby-cum-Thores by, Burton-cum-Walden, Newbiggen, Thoralby, Bishopdale, and Thornton-Rust,-the latter containing the townships of Hawes, High Abbotside, and Low Abbotside. Acres, 77,308. Poor-rates in 1866, £2,429. Pop. in 1861, 5,649. Houses, 1,227. Marriages in 1866, 35; births, 174,-of which 9 were illegitimate; deaths, 120,-of which 45 were at ages under 5 years, and 4 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60,426; births, 1,879; deaths, 1,123. The places of worship in 1851 were 6 of the Church of England, with 2,474 sittings; 9 of Independents, with 460 s.; 1 of Baptists, with 7 attendants; 2 of Quakers with 450 sittings; 8 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,375 s.; 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 372 s.; and 4 undefined, with 380 s. The schools were 9, public day schools, with 438 scholars; 19 private day schools, with 272 s.; and 20 Sunday schools, with 932 s. The workhouse is in Bainbridge township.

Askrigg through time

Askrigg is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Askrigg itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Askrigg, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11228

Date accessed: 24th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Askrigg ".