Place:


Armley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Armley like this:

ARMLEY, a township-chapelry in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and Bradford railway, the Leeds and Liverpool canal, and the river Aire, 1¾ mile W of Leeds. It has a station on the railway, and a post office† under Leeds. Acres, 907. Real property, £16,744. Pop., 6,734. ...


Houses, 1,491. A number of factories, in various departments of the woollen-trade, are on the banks of the river. Armley Park, the seat of the Gott family, and Leeds borough gaol, are near the railway station. A Danish camp, called Giants' Hill, was an object of much antiquarian interest; but was cut through at the forming of the canal, and has been nearly effaced. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £204.* Patron. the Vicar of Leeds. The church is a plain edifice; and there are four dissenting chapels.

Armley through time

Armley is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Armley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Armley, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11209

Date accessed: 13th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Armley ".