Place:


Arkengarthdale  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arkengarthdale like this:

ARKENGARTH-DALE, a parish in Reeth district, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ark, 2 miles NW of Reeth, and 10 W of Richmond r. station. It includes the hamlets of Arkle, Booze, Langthwaite, Eskelith, Seal-Houses, Whaw, and Dale-Head; and its Post Town is Reeth, under Richmond. Acres, 14,256. Real pro perty, £7,320,-of which £2,647 are in lead mines. ...


Pop., 1,147. Houses, 249. The lead mines belong to Sir J. Lowther, Bart.; and the other property is much subdivided. The mines were worked so early as the time of King John; and are still so valuable as to have been estimated, a few years ago, at an annual produce of 2,000 tons. Barytes and witherite ores are found. Much of the land is moor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £123. Patron, Sir J. Lowther, Bart. The church is good; and there are a Methodist chapel, and charities £37.

Arkengarthdale through time

Arkengarthdale is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arkengarthdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arkengarthdale, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11207

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Arkengarthdale ".