Place:


Anston  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Anston like this:

ANSTON, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Worksop, and W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Chesterfield canal, about 1 mile N of Kiveton Park r. station, and 10 ESE of Sheffield; is divided into North and South Auston; and has a post office, of the name of South Auston, under Rotherham. ...


Pop., 1,126. Houses, 237.—The parish is called Anston cum-Membris; and includes also the township of Woodsetts. Acres, 4,490. Real property, exclusive of Woodsetts, £4,820. Pop., 1,290. Houses, 279. The property is divided among a few. Nail-making and starch making are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £280. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is good. The subdistrict comprises seven parishes. Acres, 16,580. Pop., 3,222. Houses, 679.

Anston through time

Anston is now part of Rotherham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rotherham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Anston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Anston, in Rotherham and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11178

Date accessed: 20th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Anston ".