Place:


Randwick  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Randwick like this:

RANDWICK, a village and a parish in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands 1½ mile N W of Stroud r. station, and has a post-office under Stroud. The parish contains also the hamlet of Oxlinch, and is all within Stroud borough. Acres, 1, 260. Real property, £2, 702; of which £173 are in railway s. ...


Pop. in 1851, 959; in 1861, 1,060. Houses, 234. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belongs to F. J. R. Barrow, Esq. Rylands, Blenheim House, and Longcourt are chief residences. Randwick Ash commands a fine view of thevale of Gloucester and the Malvern hills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £130.* Patron, the Vicar of Standish. The church is later English and Tudor; was restored the nave almost rebuilt in 1865; and has a tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed national school with £40 a year, and charities £50.

Randwick through time

Randwick is now part of Stroud district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stroud has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Randwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Randwick, in Stroud and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11120

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Randwick ".