Place:


Acaster Malbis  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Acaster Malbis like this:

ACASTER-MALBIS, a township and a parish in York district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ouse, 2 miles E of Copmanthorpe r. station, and 5 S of York; and has a post office under York. The parish includes also part of the township of Naburn. Acres, 1,780. Real property, £2,894. ...


Pop., 359. Houses, 61. The property is all in one estate; and it derived its name from the Malbisse family, who flourished here for several centuries after the Conquest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £56. Patron, F. Lawley, Esq. The church is very good. Charities, £35.

Acaster Malbis through time

Acaster Malbis is now part of York district. Click here for graphs and data of how York has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Acaster Malbis itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Acaster Malbis, in York and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11078

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Acaster Malbis ".