Place:


Oldland  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oldland like this:

OLDLAND, a village, a parochial division, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in the district of Keynsham and county of Gloucester. The village stands near the river Avon, at the boundary with Somerset, 1½ mile N E of Keynsham r. station, and 5 E S E of Bristol; and is large. The parochial division includes the village, is part of Bitton parish, and comprises 2, 589 acres. ...


Post-town, Bitton, under Bristol. Real property, £12, 412; of which £235 are in mines, and £21 in iron-works. Pop., 5, 869. Houses, 1, 243. The manor belongs to H. Howard, Esq. Soundwell is the seat of R. Lowe, Esq.; and Stonehillvilla, of Mrs. Gale. The Duke of Monmouth is said to haveencamped on a meadow here, a few days before the battle of Sedgemoor. Market-gardening is extensive. Coal ismined; and the making of hats and pens is carried on. The chapelry includes only part of the parochial division, and was constituted in 1821. Pop., 1, 618. Houses, 345. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £43.* Patron, the Vicar of Bitton. The church is good, and has three galleries. There is a national school. The sub-district comprise Oldland parochial division and Mangotsfield parish Acres, 5, 180. Pop., 10,091. Houses, 2, 165.

Oldland through time

Oldland is now part of South Gloucestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Gloucestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Oldland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oldland in South Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11053

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Oldland ".