Place:


Winwick  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Winwick like this:

WINWICK, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Warrington district, Lancashire. The township lies 2 miles S by E of Newton r. station, and 2½ N of Warrington; bears the name of W.-with-Hulme; and has a post-office under Newton-le-Willows. Acres, 1,431. Real property, £3,579. ...


Pop., 451. Houses, 87.—The parish includes Houghton, Middleton, and Arbury township; and comprises 2,270 acres. Pop., 704. Houses, 132. The property is much subdivided. W. Hall is the seat of the Rev. F. G. Hopwood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported.* Patron, the Earl of Derby. The church is chiefly ancient; was partly rebuilt in 1848, and extensively improved in 1858; and has a tower, with octagonal spire. There is an endowed grammar-school with £34 a year. --The sub-district includes Croft-with-Southworth parish.

Winwick through time

Winwick is now part of Warrington district. Click here for graphs and data of how Warrington has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Winwick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Winwick, in Warrington and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11044

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Winwick ".