Place:


Wavertree  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wavertree like this:

WAVERTREE, a village, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in Childwall parish and West Derby district, Lancashire. The village stands 1½ mile SE of Edgehill r. station, and 3 ESE of Liverpool; has been much improved under a local board of health; is a place of resort for invalids; and has a post-office‡ under Liverpool, a police station, public baths, and a reading room. ...


-The township comprises 1,796 acres. Real property, £36,743; of which £66 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 4,011; in 1861, 5,392. Houses, 910. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Salisbury. There are numerous good residences, two churches, a free church of 1869, two dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, two national schools, two large breweries, and an extensive ropery. -The two chapelries are Holy Trinity and St. Mary; and the former is a p. curacy, the latter a rectory, in the diocese of Chester. Value of each, £300. Patron of the former, the Vicar of Childwall; of the latter, the Bishop of Chester.—The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 7,448. Pop. in 1851, 7,415; in 1861, 10,845. Houses, 1,792.

Wavertree through time

Wavertree is now part of Liverpool district. Click here for graphs and data of how Liverpool has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wavertree itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wavertree, in Liverpool and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11018

Date accessed: 19th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wavertree ".