In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kilby like this:
KILBY, a parish, with a village, in Blaby district, Leicestershire; on a branch of the river Soar, and on the Union canal, 2 miles SSE of Wigston r. station, and 6½ SSE of Leicester. Post town, Wigston, under Leicester. Acres, 1, 060. Real property, £2, 200. Pop., 362. Houses, 95. The property is divided among a few. Framework knitting is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £63. Patron, Sir H. Halford, Bart. The church is plain and good, with a very low tower. There is an Independent chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kilby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Blaby. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kilby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kilby, in Blaby and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kilby".