Place:


Skenfrith  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skenfrith like this:

SKENFRETH, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Monmouth. The village stands on the river Monnow, 6½ miles NW by N of Monmouth r. station; and has a post-office under Monmouth.—The parish comprises 4,720 acres, and is in Monmouth district. Real property, £4,136. Pop, 666. Houses, 138. ...


The property is subdivided. S. Castle dates from very early times; had the form of a trapezium; comprised circular keep, towers, and encompassing wall; and is now a fragmentary ruin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £215.* Patron, G. Speke, Esq. The church is ancient but good.-The hundred contains ten parishes, and two parts; and is cut into two divisions, higher and lower. Acres, 20,068 and 12,938. Pop. in 1851, 2,249 and 1,400; in 1861, 3,910. Houses, 807.

Skenfrith through time

Skenfrith is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skenfrith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skenfrith in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10896

Date accessed: 25th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skenfrith ".