Place:


Seaforth  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seaforth like this:

SEAFORTH, a village and a chapelry in Sefton parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the coast, adjacent to the Liverpool and Southport railway, 4¼ miles N N W of Liverpool; and has a station on the railway, a post-office‡ under Liverpool, and a hotel. The chapelry has no defined limits; but contains S. Hall, S. House, and numerous other good residences. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patron, Sir T. Gladstone. The church was built in 1815, and has an octagonal tower, with eight pinnacles.

Seaforth through time

Seaforth is now part of Sefton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sefton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seaforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seaforth, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10888

Date accessed: 23rd May 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seaforth ".