Place:


Llangattock  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llangattock like this:

LLANGATTOCK, a township and a parish in Newport district, Monmouth. The township lies on the river Usk, adjacent to Caerleon, 2 miles NE of Newport r. station. Real property, £2,816. Pop., 276. Houses, 54.—The parish contains also the township of Caerleon, which has a post office under Newport, Monmouth. ...


Acres of the parish, 2,937. Real property, £6,605; of which £10 are in fisheries. Pop., 1,544. Houses, 308. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £300.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church stands in Caerleon; is an ancient structure, with interesting features; and was restored in 1867, at a cost of £2,500. A new parsonage was built in 1863, and new charity schools in 1864. The schools have an endowed income of nearly £1,000 a year; and give free education to upwards of 200 children, and clothing and education to upwards of 100 other children. Charities, £22. See CAERLEoN.

Llangattock through time

Llangattock is now part of Torfaen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torfaen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llangattock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llangattock, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10830

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llangattock ".