Place:


Garendon  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garendon like this:

GARENDON, an extra-parochial tract in Loughborough district, Leicester; 2 miles W of Loughborough. Acres, 1, 270. Real property, £3, 003. Pop., 38. Houses, 10. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1133, by Robert de Bossu, Earl of Leicester; was given, at the dissolution, to the Earl of Rutland; and passed to the family of Phillipps. Garendon House, the seat of the Phillippses, now occupies its site.

Garendon through time

Garendon is now part of Charnwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Charnwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Garendon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garendon, in Charnwood and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10789

Date accessed: 22nd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Garendon ".