Place:


Outwood  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Outwood like this:

OUTWOOD, a hamlet in Pilkington township, Prestwich parish, Lancashire; on the river Irwell, which divides it from Kearsley and Clifton townships, 4¼ miles N N W of Manchester. It contains the r. stations of Ringley-Road and Molyneux, the villages of Ringley and Cinderhill, the chapelry-churches of Ringley and Prestolee, an endowed grammar-school with £40 a year, Outwood Park, the seat of R. N. Philips, Esq., and Ontwood Lodge, the seat of R. P. Greg, Esq.

Outwood through time

Outwood is now part of Bury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Outwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Outwood, in Bury and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10744

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Outwood ".